Thursday, August 8, 2013

Billy Out of Africa - part one

So, here we all are back in Africa. Badger, my staff and yours truly. Many have you may have all seen that Nairobi International Airport burned down the very morning that we arrived. I would just like to say that there is no truth in the rumour that this was caused by my female staff smoking a cigarette while they were refuelling the aircraft. Actually it was a cigar and I will sue anyone who claims otherwise.

Today we all went to the Daphne Sheldrick Pelican Orphanage, where young, very cute baby pelicans like those pictured below are rehabilitated for release back to the wild.



Then it was on to the Giraffe Centre where my female staff was forced to feed a giraffe. It swallowed her arm and my male staff had to pat it forcefully on the back to make it cough it up again. Badger laughed and laughed until the giraffe swallowed him too. This time we just had to wait for nature to take it's course and wait for Badger to pop out of the other end, none the worse for the experience, but somewhat indignant.
 My female staff and her giraffe friend. My female staff is the one without the horns.

Finally it was onto the Karen Blixen museum. You all know Karen from the movie "Out of Africa" which starts with the words. "I had a bean in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills" I didn't have a bean, but I did have a poop which is almost as good. Anyway, Ngong means knuckles. The picture below illustrates how the hills got their name.
 The Ngong Hills viewed from Karen Blixen's house now in the outskirts of Nairobi.
 
This is Karen's house. My female staff was wondering where Robert Redford was.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment